Thought to have been constructed by the Ionians, this small castle on the hill was repaired during the time of Alexander the Great. It was widened and repaired again by Suleyman the Magnificent 1522, during which time his 200,000 troops attacked and seized the island of Rhodes. The castle opened as a museum in 1991, after restorations that took ten years. It has seven galleries, and has a collection of archaeological, historical, ethnographic and nautical exhibits. The views of the city are wonderful, with a wonderful panorama day and night.
Cedrae (Cleopatra or City Islands): The ancient ruins of Cedrae in the island of Saray, date back to the Hellenistic Roman era. What is known as the City Islands is comprised of Orta Island and Kucuk Island. The remains of the ramparts can be easily seen from the distance. The island took its name from the rumour that Cleopatra swam with the locals in a small bay at the northwest of the island. Furthermore, she was supposed to have entered the sea with Mark Anthony, the sands of which were transferred from Northern Africa via ships by Anthony – which may be true as this type of sand is only seen in Egypt. The remains of buildings surrounded by ramparts on the east of Saray island date back from the Roman and Hellenistic period, and the small amphitheatre is in the best condition. The Christian Basilica was constructed over the pedestals of the Apollo Temple, belonging to Dors. There is an Agora on the west of Saray with inscriptions suggesting that athletics festivals devoted to Apollo were organised in the region. There are Necropolis ruins at Kucuk Island, as well as column reliefs.
Marmaris Castle is nationalized on 1979, and restored between 1980 and 1990. Marmaris Museum, is facilitated within Marmaris Castle, and opened for visitors officially on 18th May, 1991. There are seven galleries within castle, two of these are used as warehouses. One gallery is Archeological pieces of arts hall. Third gallery, which is ethnographic hall is organized as Turk house. Fourth gallery is organized as the room of Castle Commander. There is also an exhibition hall within the museum
Ta?han and Kemerli Bridge
The bridge, 10km along the Mugla road in the Iskelebasi region, was constructed by Suleyman the Magnificent, and has arched bridges built from stone and brick
Physkos: It is possible to see the ruins at Physkos, an important harbour city of the ancient Caria region, on the Asar hill north of Marmaris. The old city walls dating back to the Hellenistic period are still fairly intact.
Loryma (Bozukkale): The ruins at Loryma, once part of the foundations of Rhodes, was founded originally in the region known as Oplosica (artillery smith), the waterside thicket on the southwest of the Bozburun peninsula 40km from Marmaris. The most impressive structure in the settlement area is the well-preserved reinforcement at the entrance of the bay at Burunbasi. Nine rectangular towers, made from smooth rock-cut masonry, are built at the edge of Rhodes (Rodos) island. Today, only the balcony tower at the northern end can still be seen.
Amos: The ancient ruins of Amos are accessible from the Asarcik hill, northwest of Kumlubuk bay. Amos dates back to the Hellenistic period, and is composed of a hillside amphitheatre, a temple and statue pedestals. Surrounded by ramparts dating back to the same time, this amphitheatre is in good condition, with its seating area, side walls and stage with three chambers. Excavations in 1948 by Prof. Bean revealed four inscriptions, which mentioned three rental contracts, thought to date back to around 200BC. There is a minibus running from Turunc to Kumlubuku which passes through Amos.
Hydas: The rampart ruins dating back to the Hellenistic era lie in
Hydas, 35km from Marmaris along the Erine-Bybassios road, with a square planned monument to the south. There are rampart ruins, remaining from Hellenistic Era in Hydas, 35 km. away from Marmaris on Erine – Bybassios road route, and a square planned monument, at south of these ruins. There are several tombs around a watchtower, 3 km from Hydas. The ancient region of Hydas was founded in the Selimiye bay (Kamisli Bay) north of the Bozburun peninsula.
Erine: The ruins of Erine are 3km from the Hisaronu village, 20km southwest of Marmaris, and date back to the Hellenistic and Roman period.
Castabus (Pazarlik): Near the village of Hisarlik are the ancient ruins of Pazarlik, a holy site which can be reached from Mount Eren with an hour’s climb from Hisaronu plains. The temple is on a purpose-built platform dating back to 4th century BC. Apart from the Temple, only the ruined amphitheatre in the south can be defined.
Saranda (Sogut): Near the village of Sogut, 45 km of Marmaris, Saranda still has the characteristics of being a continuous settlement during the Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantium periods, the latter of which clearly has remains today.
Bybassios: What remains of the ancient city of Bybassios can be seen in the village of Orhaniye, on the Erine road towards Bozburun, southwest of Marmaris. The ruins of the ramparts are found inside the forest.
Euthenna (Altinsivrisi): The reinforced ramparts surrounding the settlement area, in the west part of the Cedrai-Marmaris line, are in very good condition. There is also the extension of an ancient wharf. The ruins can be reached along the Karacasogut road.
MAUSOLEUMS and MOSQUES
Sariana Mausoleum: The mausoleum, in the district of Sariana, has a bird’s eye view of the city and has a new mosque adjacent to it. Before the Rodos expedition, it was here that Kanuni had visited Fatma Ana (Sariana) who was famous for her predictions,. After she gave him a positive response, he commenced the siege. Before his departure from Marmaris, thousands of Ottoman soldiers left on their journey after a nourishing breakfast of the milk from Sariana’s cow.
Ibrahim Aga Mosque: Constructed by Ibrahim Aga in 1789 in the Kemeralti district, its most striking architectural feature is the huge dome